Translator

in English in Foren

Beitrag 1–10 von 16

1 2 » Weiter

OP

von

Rogi41K

vor 1 Jahr

Hello! I have an idea for a game angeldust. I am from Russia and do not really know how to speak English, often I meet people who do not know how to speak Russian and therefore it becomes very difficult to communicate with them. I would like to see a translator added to the game or the ability to use Google Translate through the game. P.S Sorry if the translation is bad, translated via google translator

# 2

von

Firefly

vor 1 Jahr

I understand the problem! I somewhat learned the Cyrillic alphabet to be able to read Russian player names and words. It's been a great addition to my life. I also know many people who learned English just by playing video games. The current way of chatting is very educational :-), or ))) for you. Before we dig deeper: 'quick messages' are sort of my current solution to the problem: they signal specific intents that can happen in the game and are auto-translated into everyone's selected language. So, others have asked for auto-translation before and many still do. For Angeldust there are a few specific problems: 1.) in-game language is very terse and game-specific, there are no translation engines that can properly convert things like 'huehuehue', 'ig', 'bussin fr fr' or even ')))' with all of their connotations so you end up in an even worse situation than without translation 2.) we support not only Russian and English, but eight other languages, including Thai—this requires 10 x 9 = 90 translation models to be available for an offline solution, I haven't found anything coming close 3.) Google Translate sounds fun, but isn't 'free'—I promise that your data and privacy is guaranteed with me, but I can't guarantee that Google won't snoop, process or store your conversations—it's also pretty expensive 4.) players can type English while having a Russian flag in the game—there's no way to know what language someone is actually typing without fully parsing it—where to draw the line for activating translation? 5.) automatically triggering translation will be prone to errors, but I can't really make you push a button on specific lines for translation client-side since that will be very labor-intensive on your end and I can't add GiBs of language models to the game Overall the idea is super fun. A universal translator in the game is something that might be sorely needed, but I keep running into technical problems that I can't seem to solve. Maybe for inspiration: which other games do you play? How do you communicate with other players there?

# 3

von

Hummm

vor 1 Jahr

FF didn't mention, but he added copy/paste to the chat which has been a YUUGE step towards an in-game translator. (putting the onus of external privacy issues in the hands of the individual players) The feature to ask for is a partial copy, so that you don't have to copy the entire buffer each time... of course FF will counter with // to clear the buffer, but that tends to be problematic if you're having multiple discussions and only need to translate one of them.

# 4

von

Firefly

vor 1 Jahr

Hey hey hey, don't go writing things I didn't say (yet)! :-) I think automatic translation would be really cool and I'd implement it in a heartbeat if I had an offline, free, fast (20K lines/sec) and precise software package for it. If someone can point me to existing games with universal chat translation that would be very helpful so I can peek at their architecture.

# 5

von

Firefly

vor 1 Jahr

To be a good sport I've looked around for more than an hour to find offline translation software, but I wasn't able to find anything that supports our ten languages, works somewhat flawlessly and is fast enough. If I lower the bar to 'some languages', 'barely working' and 'slow' there is one package that pops up. It basically doesn't work, doesn't cover our use case and isn't fast enough for practical use, but I could spend a few weeks implementing it, just because it exists. Again, I totally get that universal and live translation would be amazing, but I think other games have me beat on this front without me being able to compete.

# 6

von

(GM) SodaMeow

vor 1 Jahr

@Hummm I can copy and paste into the chat, but I can't copy the text that's written in the chat. It be nice if its possible that somehow I can copy and paste chat messages, then I can paste it directly into my translate browser. Currently typing word for word from chat to translator. Firefly is right, its one way to learn a new language :D The other way is to use translation app with the camera, if you are lazy. But its not really accurate. Anyways just my 2 cents.

# 7

von

Ruan4K

vor 1 Jahr

Well, on Android I can't really use Gboard translator or copy paste

# 8

von

Firefly

vor 1 Jahr

@Ruan4K: That's the exact reason for my initial reply to @Hummm :-)

# 9

von

JeremyDarkling

vor 1 Jahr

You're right.. Thanks to playing and chatting with SodaMeow, my English is a little better than before... not yet perfect to do without a translator. The biggest inconvenience is that on my phone (android) it doesn’t work out at the same time to minimize the tab with the game and go to the translator. Since the game throws me into the login menu, all correspondence is erased when I log in again .. Previously, Lembas did not have such a problem, but now too. It is also inconvenient that you cannot copy the text from the translator and paste it into the chat line and holoscroll. In this case, I have to rewrite the text in a notepad and type in the chat, and God forbid I accidentally tap on the screen, because then the text will remain unfinished. My interlocutors sometimes have time to go with the ring to Mordor, to the volcano and return from there to the Shire, while I am finishing my message .. Everything is much simpler on a computer, but it is not always possible to communicate exclusively there. An automatic translator will be just a great solution. I became interested in the issue and found a mod that translates your messages in the Minecraft chat to another language and automatically translates the remarks of those who write in the chat to your chosen one. Maybe this will help you, Ff, I can share the link, but the site is in Cyrillic. Especially such a translator will be useful in buildings with a large number of NPCs. Just think how much time miracle workers spend inventing funny lines, but not everyone will understand them, because of the language barrier. To be honest, just a translator will suit me, which will hang on top of the application in the form of a small icon, and when pressed, a small window for translation will open. Can anyone recommend such translation apps from google play?

# 10

von

Firefly

vor 1 Jahr

@JeremyDarkling: Feel free to PM me the link to that mod you're talking about so I can see if they forward API requests to Google/Microsoft or run locally. (Edit: I found one, but that uses Google.) I don't think I changed much in the behavior of the game for multitasking and split-screening, it should work as before? Did you maybe switch between the Itch.io and Google Play Store 3D version? @Ruan4K: I (think I) have implemented pasting on touchscreens using long-press. Would you like to help test it on Android?

Beitrag 1–10 von 16

1 2 » Weiter