Angeldust

YouTube Twitch Facebook Instagram Discord Twitter
Steam (Windows, macOS, Linux) Windows iTunes App Store

What is Vertical Synchronization do for you in Angeldust?

in English in Forums

Post 1–4 of 4

OP

by

StanIsDaMan

3 years ago

I turned off the V-Sync option, and my fps skyrocketed, can someone explain to me what v-sync does for gameplay?

# 2

by

StanIsDaMan

3 years ago

What *does* Vertical Synchronization do for you in Angeldust?

# 3

by

Alexi M

3 years ago

sure it is, v-sync limit fps to 60 for more stable. V-sync isn't only used in AD, it's base setup in 99% of all the games to fix the screen tearing artifacts (search for the pics about this term).

# 4

by

Firefly

3 years ago

History: back in the old days we had CRT screens. Those old tubes had an 'electron cannon' shooting electrons at luminescent phosphors in the front. If you shoot enough electrons at a high enough speed, you can create the illusion of a solid image. Technically you still have just one electron cannon that has to traverse the entire screen many (60+) times per second. The cannon 'scans' the entire screen from top to bottom, left to right on each row of pixels. If you update the screen contents while the cannon is actively shooting, or still going from top to bottom, you will briefly see an image where the top of the screen is the old image (already shot by the cannon) while the bottom of the screen is the new image (currently being shot). 'Vertical synchronization' prevents these halfway splits as your computer will only update screen contents when the electron cannon is at rest, waiting to start again from top to bottom. This lowers/limits your FPS to the refresh rate—amount of times per second the cannon shoots the entire screen—since you can only update the image when the cannon is at rest. Somehow this technology still carries a legacy with more modern flat panels that don't even have a electron cannon anymore. I think there are initiatives like G-Sync (or something?) to try and fix this.

Post 1–4 of 4