Translating Angeldust!

in English in Forums

Bericht 11–14 van 14

Vorige « 1 2

# 11

door

Firefly

5 jaren geleden

@Moniq, others: thanks for chiming in! The Angeldust translation infrastructure just came into life while I worked on the game; gettext() seemed overkill at the time. My system is very rudimentary, based on plain text files which you can edit anywhere. All strings are split into separate text files like: – Item types.txt – Materials.txt – Sound captions.txt – Website.txt Each file contains categorized string identifiers like 'itemTypeShovel', followed by the translation for all languages like this, except nicely indented in practice: – en_US shovel – es_ES pala – nl_NL schep This format works pretty well with version control and multiple people editing. Grouping all translations per string instead of having separate files per language was a design choice to make sure I could easily add new strings without forgetting to translate them. The text files get interpreted and converted to header files integrated into the game client and website. This makes looking up a translation very fast and I can reference all strings using code completion. My idea is to make these text files available so that everyone can edit them and send me patches or pull requests. Adding a new language is something I can do pretty easily, it's a bit harder for non-developers. That's why I'd like to know where we'll be working on. It's all baby steps towards a better future. Another problem is the licensing. Does anyone have experience with that? I'd like to hold on to my copyright in this stage while still being able to use external contributions. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

# 12

door

Firefly

5 jaren geleden

Bumping this since I think it's important.

# 13

door

Moniq

5 jaren geleden

If you have such system, why not simply publish files and allow upload translations back? Still suggest to have sparate forum, because I doubt I met all strings and without context the meaning might be unclear. And more... However, separated files for each language would be better, especially when you get to situation you need to merge more contributions. About the licence I do not care in case my contributions will stay libre (free as freedom) for anyone who might need it. Maybe some sort of CC licence? Sorry the delay, I have some health issues.

# 14

door

Swaleha

5 jaren geleden

i can also help to all i like helping to each other. i am good in typing also. i will translate the language in turkish ok ?

Bericht 11–14 van 14

Vorige « 1 2