by

Hummm

1 year ago

gg dungeon grinder

# 23

by

Firefly

1 year ago

I just updated the Angeldust game server to add features and polish some things: – upgraded the dungeon tower design – fixed unescapable holes and aesthetic problems in several dungeon floors – made 'the creature' easier to find and spot – improved attractiveness of 'the creature' ("heyyy there, @Loki The Witful!") – implemented new photon ball physics – added dungeon speedrunning The last two points are pretty interesting. For the photon balls, please try and forget everything you know about them. They are new, better and way more fun than before. Instead of bouncing around using a wonky physics model, you can now steer them using your viewpoint. Just look at where you want the ball to go and it'll sort of go there. Magic! Dungeon speedrunning is now implemented in the game server. You will see your dungeon completion time in MM:SS.s format when finishing. I will add a public dungeon speedrunning leaderboard to the website soon. It will be rudimentary at first, but I'll expand on it if it's really popular.

# 24

by

Firefly

1 year ago

An initial version of the Speedrun leaderboard is now online*, feedback on all changes is welcome! Also, a public admission: I ran one dungeon with an alt account to test the server update and reassigned that run to Firefly to not dox my alt. This was a great speedrun and I challenge everyone to beat it. I can't really play using my main because of public expectations. Not sure how to approach this in the future. *) You'll need to empty/refresh your browser cache for the nice icons and colors to show up!

# 25

by

Hummm

1 year ago

what starts the clock?... speed run kind of flies in the face of "relax and enjoy the game" also, is it any wonder that the 2 dungeon designers have the 2 top spots?? seems like a recusal is in order, just saying... the red, yellow, green, pink maze still takes me 5+ min (least fav) on reassigning credit... it's your game, you make the rules, so no apologies or admissions are required or necessary. RE: /unclaim (general v3.24 comment) you just proved you have claim restoration tech PS: my idea of a speed run is 0 to 1M

# 26

by

Kamikaze Justice

1 year ago

Hummm... My least favorite maze is that 5+ minute maze, also. It drives me batty. I was thinking, if I was the designer of that maze, I wouldn't be going so crazy with it, maybe, even get a 3-minute time out of it.

# 27

by

obi-

1 year ago

skill issue

# 28

by

Firefly

1 year ago

The idea is that speedrunning dungeons is completely optional, just like doing dungeons at all. Same as with coin grinding, quest hunting and player-versus-playering. 'Relax and enjoy the game' is still the advice. Just like coins adding onto your balance doesn't mean you have to grind for 1MM coins in a month, you can do dungeons at your own pace even though there is a Speedrun leaderboard. @Kamikaze Justice is certainly the most productive dungeoneer regardless of dungeon completion times. If you want to join the best Angeldust dungeon speedrunners, you need to prepare. Route each floor for efficiency, optimize your movement, maximize your relevant skill uses, hope for good dungeon RNG (random number generation) and see if you can find sequence breaks or skips. You can basically apply all the concepts and ideas of speedrunning in other games to Angeldust dungeons. The timer starts when you step onto the initial photon injector that opens the top dungeon gate. Timer stops when you step onto one of two final blocks. I got insanely lucky that my one-shot attempt got good RNG. You won't be able to set a world record on every single dungeon, as you've already found out that some floors hard-limit the speed at which you can traverse them. Still, you can prepare for those. Like any good speedrun, it's a matter of being prepared for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and then winging it. It's a sport and experience in itself. @Hummm: If you really want to have a zero-to-one-MM coin leaderboard, maybe you can try to get it listed on speedrun.com? I have no clue how you would define the rules though, and make it watchable/doable in a single game session. In all, the Speedrun leaderboard is just a formal way of acknowledging that some players might like the competition on that front. The more diverse the enjoyment people have with Angeldust, the better. Some grind monthly coins, some quests, some creatures, some dungeons and some speedrun. To each their own.

# 29

by

Kamikaze Justice

1 year ago

It was skill when it was built, but afterwards, it's called... knowing where everything is because you built it.

# 30

by

obi-

1 year ago

I won't lie, I built it so long ago that I forgot everything - I had to relearn the way to do it, and I still sometimes mess up and don't take the perfect path the way to get a fast time is to not have mazes in the run at all

Post 21–30 of 61

Previous « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Next