Steam (Windows, macOS, Linux) Windows iTunes App Store

RFC: Sound effects

in English in Forums

Post 1–9 of 9

OP

by

Firefly

14 days ago

During yesterday's livestream I commented that I'd like to change the wooden planks sounds in Angeldust because I don't like that they're really squeaky. I think having shorter, more focused wood 'thumps' would be nicer and make builds feel less shoddy. I'd like to know if there are other sounds that are subpar, from material sounds to user interface sounds to creature sounds. Can't promise I'll change anything or everything, but I'll listen carefully :D

# 2

by

Loki The Witful

13 days ago

Less squeaky wood boards sound like an interesting idea I would like to hear, heh. And for the other sounds I would have to give them a good listen to first before I suggest anything

# 3

by

obi-

9 days ago

I stopped playing angeldust without any sounds not long after I started playing, cuz there were some sounds I really didn't like. These sounds aren't even rare sounds you never hear, but very common sounds you could hear multiple times a minute. Had I not muted the gane, I would probably be pushing a million sound replays of these sounds. Sounds that made me turn off angeldust sounds: - the sound that plays when you hover over an item in the inventory, especially jarring when you move your mouse across the inventory in a diagonal - inventory.wav, ear piercing, other sounds like switching hotbars, opening the chat log, filtering items... are nice smooth sounds, when compared with this one, it for sure is much sharper, making it feel off. - deleting any block sound, just too high pitched, also repetitive Honorable/horrorable mentions: - walking on wood - walking on cyanergy/lava... maybe make it not sound like you're walking on grass shards?? it gives the same vibes as getting a little stone stuck under the bathroom door and then when you open the door it scrapes the ceramic tiles - getting coins, could definitely be more twinkly and reward like. currently it sounds like hitting a sack of coins, which makes total sense, but perhaps looking for a better alternative sound wouldn't be a bad idea Also maybe a way to skip all those "item bought" banners when you buy stuff. Maybe just opening and closing the inventory once or twice to kill it would work?

# 4

by

Hummm

9 days ago

@Obi all those inventory sounds are completely foreign to me ... lol ... definitely a "builder only" issue On the item bought banners: buy stuff on the website (out of game) and no more banners (of course, for you, that ship sailed a long time ago)

# 5

by

Firefly

9 days ago

The 'item bought' announcement thing is on the chopping block, I'm thinking of making it a chat-style notification so it's not as intrusive. @obi-: thanks for the detailed feedback, I specifically wanted to hear more from you as you had a strong opinion on the recent livestream.

# 6

by

obi-

7 days ago

fun idea: add sound effects to photon blocks, that could be used for atmospheric effect in builds examples: - water drops: could go in a wet dungeon type building - scary footsteps - different animal sounds - machine sounds - steam - different beeps and boops - alarm sound - church bells sequence, not notes, but like a 10 second long soundclip - ...

# 7

by

Loki The Witful

7 days ago

The coins jingles I need to have them lol

# 8

by

Kamikaze Justice

4 days ago

IMO, the ling (the rides) roars too much, and are too loud. I don't want to turn the volume down, since the sounds of the other creatures are beneficial when hunting. A roar is alright at the moment the ling is called on to return from a distance, and once after the ling has returned, if it's turned down a little. If no one else is bothered by the obnoxious sounding lings, then I can live with it.

# 9

by

Firefly

4 days ago

@Kamikaze Justice: Good point in the drakeling shriek. It's supposed to be intimidating when they are enemies, but it's obnoxious when they're your friend. A solution might be to disable the ambient/idle sound effects for creatures owned by players. Real-life pets and mounts are tamer than their wild counterparts, so they make less loud noises :-) I would keep their sounds when you've called them, so you know when they are near.

Post 1–9 of 9