RFC: NPC auto-spawn

in English in Forums

Post 21–30 of 118

Previous « 1 2 3 4 510 11 12 » Next

# 21

by

Firefly

3 years ago

@obi-: interesting suggestion to flip the default and #-auto-spawn behavior. It makes the change a low-impact addition, but it requires explicitly redoing all NPCs that you want to auto-spawn. Given the enormous positive reaction to auto-spawn, I feel that the safe choice is to make auto-spawn the default behavior. Most players would have liked it a lot and it would have prevented (see @Rob12) a lot of work to add and hide photon machinery. (Anyone, feel free to chime in about the default behavior.) So, to prevent KJs, how about this plan: 1. auto-spawn will be the default 2. #-prefix will disable auto-spawn 3. I convert every player's NPCs to the state they want (one time) I think I'll be able to automate the toggle for the NPCs so players don't need to recreate NPCs. I'll mass-add the #-prefixes for any player that doesn't want auto-spawn for their existing NPCs. In the meantime I've been exploring the NPC code. It'll be tricky to get working, but I think I can do it. It would be really cool for this level of persistence coming to the game.

# 22

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

#automatic> activates the npc generate in automatic mode. #off.> turn it off an easy idea at once to place #name

# 23

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

Finally, if this will be automatic, I will not need to place a lot of blocks to activate it

# 24

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

I was also thinking. Wouldn't it be great if npc could damage summoned creatures? And the invoked attack the npc? An idea that could be used with that as it would 1. be more realistic. 2. Why not build a ring out of it. Unless the npc can harm the creatures it wouldn't be bad it would be fun. The truth is only seeing the npc attack and they do nothing else, let's say something is missing in that

# 25

by

Firefly

3 years ago

@Leyenda: let's keep this topic focused on auto-spawning. If you want to modify NPC behavior even more, create a new topic and gather feedback :P I've been toying with the spawning: for persistent NPCs it feels better to not have the yellow spawning telecharger spark and sounds. This makes them feel more like part of the world. Another fun thing: NPCs can be persistent in your own house. You'll be greeted by them when you start playing. You need to coordinate with your (EVIL!) neighbor on this, since they can rob you of your four NPCs by placing many themselves. So far things are looking pretty good to be able to roll out a (temporary) testing version soon. Is everyone prepared for this? If it's very well received we could even keep it as-is, with me changing some NPCs from auto to manual spawning. Besides the questions/plan from post #21 (above) another question: is the (NPC) name tag clear and good? Or would it be better to mark NPCs with a different scheme like: 1. full parentheses: (Jove Walter Mor) 2. inverse, angled quotes: > Jove Walter Mor < 3. square brackets: [Jove Walter Mor] 4. underscores: _ Jove Walter Mor _ 5. tildes: ~ Jove Walter Mor ~ I really like 5—it matches the in-game console output. However, it all feels very ICQ/MSN/Yahoo-screen-namey, but I'm looking to polish everything in one go.

# 26

by

obi-

3 years ago

"(NPC)name" is clear and is consistent with (GM). I like it, plus it's clear that it's an NPC, as it actually says it in the name. The other options might be better tho, if you wanted to make the NPC marker a bit less noticable and less 'in your face'. > I've been toying with the spawning: for persistent NPCs it feels better to not have the yellow spawning telecharger spark and sounds. This makes them feel more like part of the world. I would say remove the spawning sounds/sparks from all NPC imitators, I feel they kinda break the immersion.

# 27

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

Yes, why not, you could use the npc experiment to see it better :)

# 28

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

I also like the symbol ~ seems to suit him better

# 29

by

Rob12

3 years ago

@FF post 21, point 3. By converting everyone's NPC's to the state they want once only, do you mean deleting photon tubing and machinery from some and adding the # to others names? If so I have over 70 NPC's scattered throughout my build and it will take some time for me to even assess then and make a list of which ones will do what and where they are located.

# 30

by

Rob12

3 years ago

P.S @FF if you give me the word I'll start making a list late tonight when I get home and you will also have my approval to implement the change. On post 25 I like 1 or 5

Post 21–30 of 118

Previous « 1 2 3 4 510 11 12 » Next