Steam (Windows, macOS, Linux) Windows iTunes App Store

Apple Macintosh Issue Game Control key Conflict

in English in Forums

Post 1–2 of 2

OP

by

ColtsWalker

3 years ago

Control + Up Arrow Triggers Apple Macintosh interface due to OS Hotkey This is probably more of an issue for the left handed player and not so much for the WASD player when you consider that you may be pressing the control key to descend in flight while on a dragon and also press the arrow key up to move forward triggering something bad happening for the Angeldust gamer. It can also occur when you are trying to move forward and speed up by pressing the control key while using the up arrow... Apple Mac OSX (I am on Catalina) using up arrow with control is a desktop hotkey. Pressing control + up arrow while in Angeldust trying to enjoy Angeldust knocks you out of Angeldust into a Mac interface showing desktop app switching. This is very annoying. It is possible to remap the default Macintosh Operating System hotkeys, true, however, I have never cared for the idea that software vendors expecting consumers to alter the default behaviors of their Operating System to accommodate a single application. This is yet another keyboard conflict as a result of Angeldust using critical keys such as the Control keys that interfere with operating system functionality, and further support to consider allowing desktop users the ability to map their own game control and navigation keys which is a common feature of the majority of other games on SteamOS.

# 2

by

Firefly

3 years ago

After talking about this on the livestream yesterday and reading your report again today I'm totally confused. I'm all for adding key remapping (which looks likely to come in the future), but key remapping won't solve your problem. Control+Up will always open up Mission Control on macOS unless you change the shortcut. There is no way for applications to override system-wide controls (a good thing). Just like the system-wide Alt+Tab always works on Windows. So my advice is to not press Control for sprinting. You'd better use Shift, which doesn't trigger Mission Control by default in combination with Up. Am I completely wrong about this? Can a user-space application actually disable system-wide shortcuts? That seems like a vector for malware to easily disable core system functionality…

Post 1–2 of 2