RFC: NPC auto-spawn

in English in Forum

Post 91–100 di 118

Prec. « 1 2 38 9 10 11 12 » Succ.

# 91

di

Firefly

3 anni fa

I really feel progress markers are a nice convenience, and a warm gesture for players. It greatly helps with discoverability of the NPC's "contents", showing that there is "more" to some NPCs. It also prevents you from wasting time waiting for more stuff when you've been through it all. If an NPC has just one line, you won't see it. And it's also unavailable if the NPC sends a quick message. For overarching storylines you'd just better make sure it's playable without additional hints… If players hop from NPC to NPC, they will get random messages with either manual or auto-progress markers anyway. Maybe it's a matter of seeing is believing… I'll try to roll out a prototype soon.

# 92

di

Firefly

3 anni fa

Additionally: maybe having multiple greetings for one NPC is the actual problem? How many times do you say "Hello" and then "Hi" to an IRL friend you are talking with? Which leads to the following observation: should dialogs just not repeat if NPCs are able to track their progress? So they will say their lines and then just shut up. That might be way more natural than repeating their entire spiel forever. It also combats chat spam. If a player moves away and comes back, the NPC will of course repeat the conversation.

# 93

di

Firefly

3 anni fa

I've played with some options… – a numbered progress indicator [1/4] feels too technical and takes away the organic appearance of NPCs – a textual progress indicator […] feels pretty good, but semantically conflicts with the player message's interpunction – an ellipsis … works best, but it's still conflicting with the interpunction provided by the player So now I'm at the stage where I am a really big fan of a non-textual, non-explicit dialog progress indicator. And we've already got it: if the dialog is sequential and we make it NOT repeat, then everything is in place. The dialog starts when you get nearby. It progresses as long as the NPC talks. When the NPC stops talking, you know the conversation is over. I think that is a very natural way of doing dialogs in the game. Does this feel like a good design? Leyenda's wish of pausing the NPC for a while is also possible, by including an empty message. I could also auto-replace those empty messages with ellipsis (…) to indicate that more text is coming later to not troll the player too much.

# 94

di

Mayckon Mz

3 anni fa

Sério! Isso é totalmente incrível!! Não vamos precisas fazer nenhum esforço! 100% a favor disso! :D

# 95

di

obi-

3 anni fa

Just ending it when the NPC runs out of options, without any progress indication does make sense. I like it.

# 96

di

Leyenda

3 anni fa

I think it's a good idea to automatically sit as obi says on chairs and beams for now.So it is a good idea firefly so I would not repeat the npc a lot since sometimes it can be a bit annoying with a lot of spam

# 97

di

Leyenda

3 anni fa

Also for example if you step on the holo roll every 4 seconds and repeat what it says, I thought, you could not also place in the chat for example a symbol so that it does not speak too fast for when you step on it for example:\~~~/ so it would also not repeat a lot every time I step on the holo roll.And for when he speaks while stepping on the holo rrollo, the other symbol is used so that he does not repeat very quickly.

# 98

di

Leyenda

3 anni fa

I think it will be better that way since with [4/6] well let's say that he will not speak of what he said in conversation again. Although it may also be a good idea for him not to say what he said again. I suppose that if there was a symbol so that he would not say a certain word again, for example: - hello friend, welcome - to my construction site. To my construction site. I would not repeat having the symbol (-)

# 99

di

Firefly

3 anni fa

Regarding auto-sit… The game places stickers above a chair onto its backrest, floating in the air. It seems nicer for the photon imitator sticker to go onto the seat. Will this lead to problems in any of your builds? It only affects chairs with a backrest that have stickers on TOP of them. I can't recall seeing this construction anywhere. Probably because it looks really weird. Another issue I'm running into is that heroes appear to float if there's a sticker above a chair. I'll try to fix that too :P

# 100

di

obi-

3 anni fa

NPCs now also cause not just server side fixes, but visual fixes also. Yes please.

Post 91–100 di 118

Prec. « 1 2 38 9 10 11 12 » Succ.