RFC: touchscreen controls

in English in Forums

Bericht 1–10 van 12

1 2 » Volgende

OP

door

Firefly

4 jaren geleden

Android, iPad and iPhone users, pay attention! I want to improve Angeldust's touchscreen user experience and discoverability. I think the main problem is that players don't read and thus don't know that you can tap to perform an action, and tap-and-hold for a repeated action. I want to solve this by adding dedicated action buttons to the user interface and dropping the 'tap anywhere' input. The action buttons will be halfway below the 'sprint' and 'jump' buttons and positioned slightly inward. Here are two mockups for a regular tablet and a small phone: http://downloads.angeldu.st/UI1-iPad.jpg http://downloads.angeldu.st/UI1-iPhone.jpg You will still use the left half of the screen to walk, and the right half side to look around, even while perform actions. Is this a good idea? Is the action icon clear? Do you have better ideas?

# 2

door

Hummm

4 jaren geleden

What the "world map" secret for Android? (what I'm really looking for is quest status) It's not listed here: https://angeldu.st/en/controls [opinion on] It's great that this game runs on every platform, but if you're playing this w/out a keyboard or a controller, you're TOTALLY missing out. [opinion off]

# 3

door

Firefly

4 jaren geleden

What's the question? You can open the world map from the telecharger like on all other platforms :D

# 4

door

Hummm

4 jaren geleden

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure when I used the telecharger to bring up the map, it didn't bring up the quest progress (which was what I was really after)

# 5

door

Firefly

4 jaren geleden

@Hummm: It does. If you don't see a quest notice, you've finished the quest. @all: my original question / request for comments still stands even though Hummm expertly hijacked this topic :P

# 6

door

obi-

4 jaren geleden

If you mean that the arrow looking things on the left and right side are action buttons... I'm sure it would work.

# 7

door

Hummm

4 jaren geleden

Apologies for hijacking... speaking as a mostly non-tablet/phone player, those look like welcome changes.

# 8

door

Firefly

4 jaren geleden

Something pretty close to the mockup will come to Angeldust v3.4. It takes some getting used to, but then it makes playing way more fun and less frustrating. While playtesting I was amazed that I wasn't randomly removing and placing blocks now. That must be a good sign!

# 9

door

Pamplemousse

4 jaren geleden

Hi! I'll be honest, i really love the minimalistic UI on ipad and iphone, and I hope it will stay like that ... If you make de change, could it be optional? I would love being able to turn that off And i mean, there's all buttons and help appearing on the screen when you don't touch the screen for a few seconds. I think it's a really great idea btw, love my UIs clean, and that's a rare thing in MMos and mobile games Cheers ! ^_^

# 10

door

Firefly

4 jaren geleden

Thanks for voicing your concerns Pamplemousse; I'm with you! The touchscreen UI will remain close to minimal. I'm introducing a dedicated action button instead of tap+hold so that new players immediately know how to control the game. As an experienced player myself I find that this control scheme offers way more actual 'control'. Previously I wasn't able to comfortably build something. Now I am. There will also be new buttons that appear as players progress through the game. There have been lots of new features in Angeldust ever since the first touchscreen UI and I want to streamline the building, exploration and fighting experience. I will demonstrate a few changes on the livestream today so you know what to expect. On top of that, I've fixed some pretty major bugs in the touchscreen UI. Did you know that the 'button position' setting never got saved? I didn't. So it's good that I'm completely rewriting this entire part.

Bericht 1–10 van 12

1 2 » Volgende