RFC: NPC auto-spawn

in English in Forums

Post 51–60 of 118

Previous « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 » Next

# 51

by

Hummm

3 years ago

I haven't been tracking all the NPC action blocks myself, but FF has promised documentation... but to answer your | question... something decides which of N text strings to print (from a single trigger) you delineate each of the N strings with a | .. so in your example: Good day! |#1| Hello! N = 3, so whatever the n picker is: if it picks 1, the NPC says: Good day! if it picks 2, the NPC says the numbered "quick messages" (#1 - #8) in the language of the closest player (in English those are: Hello, Let's go, Thanks, Follow mw, Help!, New creature for me, OK, Bye) if it picks 3, the NPC says: Hello! (and you missed the example of FF's stretch goal of the [placeholder] where if a player is nearby, it substitutes [placeholder] for the closest player's name, otherwise just prints placeholder... but if tree falls in the woods...)

# 52

by

Rob12

3 years ago

Ummm nah, I read everything in this thread and tried to read everything in previous threads and even watch older live streams, but I just didn't understand it all. I still don't, but I'm a little bit wiser anyway, thanks.

# 53

by

obi-

3 years ago

Good day! |#1| Hello! It will probably just start with the first one, then 2nd one, then 3rd... so: -> Good day! -> Hello! (#1 stands for Hello!) -> Hello!

# 54

by

Rob12

3 years ago

Yep I understand that now, it's all good :) I will need a new notepad though to keep all my notes on it so I don't forget stuff.

# 55

by

Firefly

3 years ago

Documentation on the entire NPC ecosystem is coming! I've delayed it because things are still very fluid, as seen this week. Once the dust settles I'll add a dedicated NPC section to the Angeldust Creator Kit, and make it widely available. When the (temporary?) update goes live, I'll post once more with a summary of all new functionality to test. If it's all good and most people like the changes, we'll keep the update. Seeing the initial results during testing really makes me lean towards 'keep it', since it adds so much warmth to the game.

# 56

by

Firefly

3 years ago

Player name replacement is now also working and it's beautiful. Major thanks to obi-'s insane suggestion of being able to define placeholders. I've tested lots of combinations of multiple choices, player name replacements and quick messages. So far, everything is bug free and working exactly as intended. I'm now moving on to testing on a production mirror, if that goes well, expect the update to go live in about two hours from now.

# 57

by

Firefly

3 years ago

!!! MAJOR WARNING !!! The update is rolled out temporarily(?). There is a rare chance of a server CRASH and DATA LOSS during testing. Don't build too much at once to prevent losing much work. I've tested extensively, but this change is very invasive and I might have overlooked a tiny bug somewhere. !!! END WARNING !!! With the update available now, feel free to start experimenting with the following things: – NPC persistence – Disabling NPC persistence using a # name prefix – Chat interaction for idling NPCs – Multiple chat choices separated by a pipe: | – Nearby player name replacement with a [square bracket placeholder] – The new ~ NPC ~ name decoration Don't remove too much of your photon machinery just yet, until we're happy. I think this update is huge, and really polishes the NPC system. Let me know if you run into any weird issues. Things to note: – Persistent NPCs will immediately spawn upon placing a photon imitator. – Persistent NPCs will spawn as if the triggering photon came from below, so they will spawn centered, up from the imitator. Make sure they have room. – Persistent NPCs need to fit entirely in the chunk you place 'em in; make sure to reserve some room if they're riding large creatures. Looking forward to your comments, questions and experiences!

# 58

by

Rob12

3 years ago

Ok here we go....

# 59

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

By the way I feel more accompanied when the npc appear automatically, it's great I really like firefly the improvement 😁😊

# 60

by

Leyenda

3 years ago

Well one thing I've noticed is. Why don't npc appear automatically in my current build?🤔

Post 51–60 of 118

Previous « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 » Next